Choosing a Private Teacher

         Something that I am very passionate about is that any serious clarinet player should have a private teacher. Private teachers (good ones, anyway) can change your life. That's a fact. I wasn't able to have a private teacher until pretty late, about the middle of my freshman year of high school. I was very fortunate to be taught by Lynn Fryer, who went to Michigan and studied under David Schifrin, and went on to play in the Navy band for a number of years. She is one of the kindest people I have ever met. She will go out of her way to help you succeed. That's exactly what she did for me. Without her, I doubt I would be where I am today. She had a huge impact on my life- she helped me find my passion for music, and every time I walked out her door I was a better human being- not to mention, a  better clarinet player. Not to mention the fact that she knew procedure for my area of all district activities like the back of her hand. She even judged me once or twice.
          Coming from that experience, I place great value in finding a private instructor that will push you to be the best player AND person you can be. It's also important to have someone who knows what they're doing in whatever area you're in- this is why I hesitate to teach Kansas students, because their system of all district and state activities are vastly different than what I'm used to. This will put a lot less pressure on the student and the parent. Experience is important.
          Another important component is that the private teacher should have the skills to pay the bills, so to speak. Taking private lessons from a college student can be great- but, not if they are only slightly more talented than you are. It's not likely that a talented high school senior taking lessons from a college freshman is a good thing. It depends on the situation, and guidance from your school band director will be helpful to you.
          Finding a private teacher is always an exciting thing, but sometimes it can be hard for an inexperienced player and a parent with no previous band knowledge to make the right decision. Some good things to do when starting to find an instructor would be:

1. Consult your middle/high school band director. Chances are, they will have a few people in mind.
2. Do your research.
3. Inquire about pricing (revisit number two for average rates in your area).
4. Have your student meet them before making a decision. It's important that their personalities work well together, and that your student likes them.

I hope this will make your search a little easier.

Happy practicing!
Gabby

Comments

Popular Posts